Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dear Senator Schumer

UPDATE: Ok, so I was wrong. Richard Epstein refutes the idea that the AIG bonus law was unconstitutional. If only I could believe that Chuck Schumer read Richard Epstein.

The following is a message I just posted on Sen. Charles Schumers Senate contact page.

Dear Senator Schumer,
The bill that recently passed the House (H.R.1586) to tax AIG bonuses is very likely unconstitutional and must not become law.

It is, in effect, a bill of attainder. Such laws are forbidden by Article I, section 9, clause 3 of the United States Constitution, which states:

"No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."

You took an oath to uphold the Constitution. I expect you to do so at all times, but particularly in regard to this bill.

I am not an AIG employee and have no financial interest in AIG or any of its subsidiaries.
Sincerely,

How do I know this law is unconstitutional? By relying on my fellow bloggers, of course. Protein Wisdom is one source. There is a link in the comments of that post to this one at Powerline.

I didn't call my Senator as the Protein Wisdom post suggested. I took the Internet route instead.

1 comment:

TraderPsyches said...

thank u for being so thorough